Floating Zendo is a Zen meditation group led by Angie Boissevain, Sensei, based in San Jose, California. Angie teaches in multiple locations, hence the name Floating zendo.
Floating Zendo practices Zen in the Soto lineage from Japan, founded by Dogen Zenji. We have a weekly meeting in San Jose, CA. We practice zazen (seated meditation), among other activities, each week.
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us.
Although we are a small community, we have a number of ongoing practices, mostly centered in or around San Jose:
- The primary ongoing zazen/meditation practice is held weekly with Angie on Tuesday nights 6:30-8:00 at the Friends’ Meeting House in San Jose. After zazen, we study Zen or Buddhist works, such as the writings of Dogen and other teachers in the tradition, the Buddhist Precepts, the Heart Sutra, and other topics.
- Teachers from other locations and/or traditions periodically sit with us in San Jose and offer teaching.
- Longer sits of 3 to 6 hours are offered the second Saturday of the month at the Friends’ House in San Jose.
- A week-long sesshin (retreat) is offered at a variable location each summer, in the greater San Jose/Silicon Valley/Bay Area.
- More intensive study groups at local private homes are accessable via conference calling for those out of the area.
- A student may choose to undertake the contemplative practice of hand sewing a rakusu, a symbol of Shakyamuni Buddha’s robe. In the Jukai ceremony, the student accepts the precepts and the teacher gives the student the rakusu with their Dharma name written on the inside.
7:30-8:00 Dharma Talk
We have been studying Chögyam Trungpa’s Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness. The book presents Chögyam Trungpa’s commentary on The Root Text of the Seven Points of Training the Mind by Chekawa Yeshe Dorje (1101-1175), as translated by the Nālandā Translation Committee. The Root Text is a list of fifty-nine slogans, which form a summary instruction on the view and practical application of mahayana Buddhism.
Location for Tuesday Nights Weekly sits and Monthly sits on Saturdays:
San Jose Friends Meeting House
1041 Morse St, San Jose, CA 95126
Join Floating Zendo Yahoo Group
If you are interested in keeping posted on the activities of the Floating Zendo,
it is advised you join the Yahoo Group – FloatingZendoZazen.
This will guarantee you receive all notices about goings on, any messages, and the calendar. Being on the regular e-mail list also ensures that you will be notified of events.
Related Zen Centers